[This was written in ten minutes while I was going to Reduit. It contains lots of stuff about me that will not change the course of your life in the least bit. Also if you thought that I was not arrogant and self centred this has the potential to break your miserable dream. So much for the disclaimer. ]
Here goes:
Six years ago tragedy struck the USA and most precisely the state of NY with the incident of the WTC.
Six years ago I remember that my grandma was at our place and I was sitting by my favourite glass table, doing my homework. It was a particularly tough accounting question and I was not paying attention to the muted TV playing right in front of me.
Just then, the telephone rang. I don't remember who answered it but I know that just after that the volume of the TV was turned on and some foreign news channel, probably BBC or CNN was casting news about an air crash and the attack on the WTC.
I was really excited by this news. My parents and sister were panicked. My grandma wanted to go home. She was scared and insisted so much that my father finally agreed to drop her home. By that time, it was already 8 pm. The driver came and we set off. There was just four of us; me, my father, grandma and the driver. The drive to Mahebourg, where my grandma lives went quite smoothly and quietly. It was almost 10 pm when we arrived at destination. We had a conversation with our family there and set to return home quite quickly.
On our way back we passes near Plaisance where the airport is located and we were lucky to see a plane take off.
[Now there is something interesting that I wish to share with you. I always find it funny and somewhat annoying when I'm going to Mahebourg with my family and the driver is suddenly asked to stop the vehicle to admire a plane take off and everyone will gaze at the sky in amazement and point fingers and let out big "aahs" and "oohs". Having been born in Mahebourg, I consider myself as being a southern chick and southern chicks are not amazed by anything plane-related! :D ]
So, coming back to my story, we saw the plane take off and for the first time in my life I was truly amazed. Not by its appearance or the lights that are cast when it takes off but by the thought of how it would feel to see that coming directly towards you about to kill you, destroying everything about you. You get the picture. This thought was very creepy and that night as long as we were in the airport's vicinity, as long as I kept hearing the plane's noises, I was afraid. These planes were deadly pterodactyls, innocent-looking yet very lethal.
We then passed through Plaine Verte. There was a private meeting held by a political party there. My father went in to say hello. I was scared. On our way home I kept silent until I got home. I had my homework to complete. And had to stay awake a long time before I could call it a day. So much for how I've spent my 11th September 2001. I was 14 then.

P.S : It contains grammar errors I know, too lazy to correct.
0 serious thoughts:
Post a Comment