Diwali, the festival of lights



Tomorrow we'll be celebrating Diwali, the festival of lights. To me, this festival represents joy, merriment and lights but most of all it represents the victory of good over evil by taking its sources in the story of Rama and Ravana found in the Ramayana.

However Divali was more fun to me when I was a kid. I remember the huge prayer that was held in the middle of our family property in Goodlands on the eve of the festivals. My grandfathers, who were all pandits, used to tell my cousins and me stories taken from the holy scriptures. There were so much children living close by that it was easy to have fun, especially on the day of the festival. We used to go together to distribute cakes among relatives and neighbours.

Ever since we came to live here, things have somewhat changed. Anyway, we still send cakes to our relatives but the fun is not as great as it was before. Part of me wishes to be a child again. Ah well! To fill this lacuna, I've made some round lanterns today. Nothing too complicated. I've just rolled and stuck together the two sides of some somewhat wide bristol bands. I've cut some shapes on the bristol bands and stuck crepe paper at the back.

Tomorrow we'll be making a "rangoli" with flowers and presenting the cakes. Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

Take care dudettes and dudes and my festive aliens! Have fun! :D

post signature

28 serious thoughts:

usha said...

happy divali to you mooo! muah!

keli said...

hopping by to wish you a veri happi divali! have lotsa fun and eat lotsa cakes. mium!

morinn said...

thanks gals! happi divali to you too! :D

rooch said...

happi divali!
i love rasgoola and barfi! ki zot gato prefere zot?
ih

morinn said...

moi barfee! avk nankatai, sa gato kumen biscuit la! lol

m0rph said...

miam!

Manictastic said...

I've heard about Diwali, never actually witnessed a celebration in honour of it, but I wish you loads of fun and loads of firey works.

Roushdat said...

u got some kind of boon [cumsa em dir sa?] to do those artistic stuff :p And very original en plus. Wonderful :)
And happy divali to u ;)

morinn said...

morph, c miam vrai em :P

manico, i hope someday you get the opportunity to witness that.

roushdat, thanks! :D mo conten perdi letemps fr bricolage! lol

MBB said...

Happy Diwali to you Morinn. Enjoy yourself greatly.

Irfaan said...

Happy Divali

Jevin said...

Great.. :P I love those lanterns.. Keep one for me. :u

morinn said...

thanks people!

jev 1 zour to pou gagne comier lantern to ler! :P

bbZuSh said...

M lE gaaaatooooooooo....

Happy divaliiii!

$€|v3n said...

happy divali, btw, i am curious how your lanterns doesn't heat up and get burnt?

Moi i gave up lantern idea a while back, and decided to hide my lamps in places where there won't be much winds

morinn said...

happy divali toi si BbZush! :D

Selven, mo croir akoz mo servi papier crepe sa, li pli resistant ki mousseline ek mo fr li assez gran pou bne la lampe la. okene pane briler last nite! :D

Kelly Mahoney said...

I like the photos, they're really interesting.

Anonymous said...

Cool photos, thanks for the info.

Avesh said...

happi divali mo. mo ti oqp yer! :P

morinn said...

anonymous, thanks. I would have appreciated a name on the comment. ;)

kelly, thanks for dropping by.

avesh, better late than never! ;)

LORD MANILA STONE said...

happy divali to you morinn and keep your creativity, you are cool^^ i like the pic with that bird of paradise there^^

morinn said...

thanks for the compliment lord manila! :D it means a lot

angele said...

Even though I don't celebrate divali,I've always like this festival.I duno but there's something abt the atmosphere that is so appealing =P

hope u had a great divali!

Natasha said...

happi divali morinn.jespere ke tu t bien amuse!

Manictastic said...

How's the little drunk :D You healed yet? -shouts this really loud at his computer screen-

Neelesh said...

It is the very first time heard of rangoli made of flowers. Original. :D

Meghna said...

Hi Morrin,
Happy Diwali! Barfi and mithai are the best part of diwali for me. We make a rangoli with colours!
We also send greetings and gifts to our realtives here, in North India!
The great part is bursting crackers. Don't you do that? it's much fun:)

Have a happy and safe Diwali!

morinn said...

thanks people for dropping by and for your wishes! :D

meghna, we used to burst firecrackers some years ago. but recently, since we got many dogs, they are afraid of these and we don't want to scare them. so we no longer do this. but it sure is fun to watch the firecrackers of other people!